Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Time To Beef This Thing Up

As you both said in your previous comments it's time to beef this blog up a little bit so here we go. I've been thinking about thesis quite a bit lately but just have not had the time to make any new posts in regards to my thoughts lately. I'd like to start with the deliverable and how I may go about out putting this thesis idea.

As of right now I'm leaning mostly towards designing the final deliverable as an exhibition. I feel that if people were able to view the final product as an exhibition it could be quite interesting and would allow for a more complete understanding of the project. Essentially displaying all elements of the process and working people through my thought process.

Upon entering the exhibition they would be faced with a synopsis of the project. I imagine this being quite text heavy and adhered to a wall as a vinyl decal similar to the opening of the type show that just took place at 52 McCaul St. the other day.

A demonstration of the Chladny test would then take place either physically in the gallery space or through video projection. The exhibit would then follow a path through record cover history based on genre. The exhibit would be broken up in a colour coded manner distinguishing certain genre types from one another and allowing for a large overview of each genre and it's similarities. Headphones would hang on the wall to allow visitors to experience the music while viewing the cover art.

The exhibition would then flow into primary examples of how the Chladny test effects certain musical genres by determining the average tone within a given piece of music and then displaying that pattern on the wall.

There would be a program book to accompany the exhibit, to allow for patrons to understand this exhibit further as they continue return home.

I envision this exhibition being placed in a larger space than a typical gallery, this would be something that would be housed in a place like MOCCA or the AGO as a large scale instillation.

Here are a few sources of inspiration I've uncovered in my past few weeks of thinking about thesis.








No comments:

Post a Comment